Forthill History Society
This group founded in 1999 by Johnny Stanford was established to develop a historical portfolio of past school days in the St Edwards National School. In order to develop the History Group further, they needed to obtain a secure permanent place within the building, the building is owned by the diocese and as Bishop Christopher Jones was aware of the value of the work carried out by the group, he decided to grant a permanent room in the building to the Group in order to further their work in the area. A room was obtained in the old St Edwards School now known as the Northside Resource centre and work began. This space is now known as the Community Room. The aim of the group was to create a space which would be a dynamic focal point for the people of the area. The official opening of the Forthill History Community Society took place on March 2nd 2000 with mass by his Lordship Bishop Christy Jones. About 100 people attended the mass, with refreshments after. We would like to say a special Thank You to Beacon Video who kindly video taped the mass for us.
The group gathered memorabilia such as old photos, books, blackboards, easels, maps and schoolbooks dating back to the 1940′s as well as the original desks from the classroom. The group also took recordings from the elderly past pupils of their memories from their time in St Edwards. All the memorabilia when collected was organised and displayed for all the community to come see in a space that was community focused. Children from the new St Edwards School pay regular visits to the room with their teachers to get a better understanding of the past history of the area. The community room is always open to the community and has provided a wide and varied group of organisations with information about the area.